Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Put a Pin in it!

I'd like to take this opportunity to share a little about why/how I use Pinterest.

Originally I thought, "Okay, cool, a place to keep track of things you like on the internet." From that train of thought I created a few of the basic boards, (clothes, home decor, inspiration, etc) I actually stayed away from a few of the classics like hair, makeup, and quotes because I honestly had no desire to keep track of those things.

I made the rule for myself that I would only start a board if there were so many pins that I couldn't keep track of them in my head.

That was a good rule for a while until I hit a plateau...most users hit this same plateau after the initial buzz you get from joining Pinterest. I pretty much left my boards alone for several weeks if not months. Then, something brought me back.

Practicality.

You see I realized one day that I had a really unique tool at my disposal that fits my very unique point of view as an artist, (as well as the unique points of view of every artist!); I could start organizing the many projects I keep on my computer in a visual manner.

My mind exploded and I started creating boards to build concepts for productions. A couple of my boards have born fruit: White Noise (my senior recital), and Infamous Love Songs (my first post-grad directing venture). Neither of these productions was an exact replica of what can be found on said-boards...however they were IMMENSELY helpful in the planning/brainstorming process of both pieces.

I added several boards for productions I am passionate about one day working on. From then on out I've been non-stop-pinterest-obsessed. I created the tell-tale hair and makeup boards...the tattoo board...I even put one up for films that I love. I love having these boards. It's so useful for my brain which is more often than not, in a state of Wriggly Spaghetti.

Now, should you peruse my Pinterest, you will find a WIDE variety of boards including one dedicated to my childhood, another featuring my artwork, and even an empty board entitled "Earth's Haulocaust"...curious?? You'll have to keep an eye out for that one as time goes on.

So go have a look...follow me, if you dare; and have a wonderful day :)
Gin

No comments:

Post a Comment