Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Arrival


I have arrived in New York. I'm staying in Scarsdale, a lovely town thirty minutes outside of Manhattan. The wonderful lady housing me is like something out of "Windy Poplars". She's an old wrinkly thing, who handles the roads of the city like a true New Yorker...or so I gathered from her calm swerving about to avoid the other cars swerving about, all while explaining her family history at my request.

My room is about ten by ten feet; Perfectly quaint. There is one window. The walls are papered with yellow-rose patterns. There is a framed etching on the wall of two kittens playing. A tiny mirror like the one Mary Poppins deems unworthy of gazing on her grand visage. I think this mirror will do nicely for me :)

My hostess tells me it will get sweltering up here...which I well believe, if it's anything like living in the top apartment in Germany! Therefore, there is an old table fan that I've set up in front of the window, in the hopes of coaxing in some cooler air.

My orientation is not for another three days. In the meanwhile I'll be going places with my Hostess, testing out the public transportation into the city, and just trying to prepare my mind for an exciting summer!

-Girl in the Top Yellow Room

No comments:

Post a Comment