Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Study in Visual Harmony

Turn: a study in visual harmony.

As a musician who largely works by ear, I'm always happy to find a particular harmony for a particular melody. Give me a melody and I can harmonize it. I've discovered over the years, with the help of music theory, that harmony can be straightforward and intuitive BUT it can also be dissonant, tangled, and downright disturbing.

So what if we translated harmony to visuals? Obviously artists accomplish visual harmony every day; but I want to figure it out for myself, specifically using my understanding of audible harmony, trying to find a way to translate the "creative muscle" if you will, from my ear to my eye.

This may sound pretty gooby right now,(see my roommate for a definition of the word "gooby"), but I'm pretty excited about this exploration.

My plan is as follows:
1. film one actor at a time incorporating character, pre-determined situations, shooting pre-planned stock shots, and finally allowing for some pure improvisation.
2. after filming each actor individually, I will analyze the footage and determine patterns and/or complementary moments that I would like to explore further. At this point I'll take two or maybe three actors at a time to film.
3. have an afternoon of filming all the actors together.

Besides some last-minute re-shoots, I will then have all my material in front of me.
At that point editing will take over to create from all the film I will have. Then the music stage will take over which is a whole blog post in itself, but won't take as much time as filming.

Sounds fun right?? I'm pretty excited about this. I'll have some help with costuming, makeup, and music, which is wonderful.

Have a lovely day...hopefully the sky isn't falling in freezing rain like it is here. (Jackson!! Who knew??)
Ginny

(January 15ths entry)

No comments:

Post a Comment