Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Destructo-Meter!

Amazing isn't it, how one conversation with a friend can bring completely fresh ideas and inspirations that you never could have come up with on your own? That's what happened to me today!

After a satisfying day of classes, (learning how to handle a sword, conjugating French verbs, and a theatre company called Ridiculusmus), I fell into a heated discussion with my friend who now holds a heavy bit of credit for the film script. She's been a wonderful creative brain to pick and prod.

I've learned a lot about how film scripts are revised often to the point of having nothing to do with the original script. It used to sound like such a sad story to me. It IS a sad story to many writers out there who get there material ripped to pieces without having any ability to stop it.

In my situation, thankfully, I'm completely in charge of the destruction...and honestly, the only sad story would be the one getting filmed if I left the original script alone.

So how much is too much? Is it possible to go to far in the editing? Shouldn't I not get caught up in searching for perfection?

On the contrary, when it comes to writing, I find that there really is a perfect, or more aptly a RIGHT product to be found under the layers of artistic nuances, character development, words, words, and more words! When you strip something away you find a basic structure. This is essential in good story telling. Are there different kinds of structures? Sure. Is it wrong to flesh that structure out? NO! It's what makes your creativity unique! But when you have a structure, that is when you are able to say, "I don't need this character" or "I've described the scenery adequately, I can stop now."

Structure, by definition, holds the story together. So in my opinion, that's the first thing you have to look to. After that, follow your instincts, get an outside opinion and a fresh eye to take a look at things, and you'll end up with something quite extraordinary.

I'm hoping to finish my Script-Destruction in the next couple of days, and also go have a look at potential locations for filming!

Have a great end of your week,
Gin

No comments:

Post a Comment