Friday, January 11, 2013

Les Reves de la Musique...


One of the things that draws me most to create a piece like "Turn" is the opportunity to work with people I've been dying to collaborate with. It's sort of like getting to pick your own dream team because you know people, you know what they're capable of, and you're pretty sure that, together, you can make something beautiful.

In this instance, I've chosen actors I particularly admire for their different acting strengths, musical styles, and who overall have a passion for storytelling. 

Music is what I really want to talk about today. I absolutely LOVE trying to find original ways of incorporating music and theatre. I also have a strong visual arts background so it's important that THAT comes out in the work as well. The visual part has been tossing and turning in my head for a while so I've never had much doubt on that end. The music, on the other hand, has taken an incredibly long time to settle in my mind. I looked over past songs I've written. I listened to some piano improv I've performed over the years. I looked at poetry. I tried writing new songs and poetry. Nothing felt quite right. 

Eventually I decided I wouldn't feel happy with music until I had a true story to put it to. Well I guess that was true, because now that the story is coming along, I've been re-inspired musically! 

I've ended up taking two half-finished projects, and plan on integrating both. There are lots of harmonies (my favorite thing EVER) and the songs are a cross between choral and folk music. 

I have special ideas cooked up for the songs, some of which will come to fruition soon, and others will have to wait until we start recording to see how much we can accomplish. I will, of course, keep you posted on all progress.

Filming has not started yet, but hopefully we won't have to wait much longer (if this script would only perfect itself!)
lovely dreams,
Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment