Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Mother's Storm

It looks like, for now, I'll be writing most of my posts around midnight thanks to my schedule. Five hour rehearsals in the evening will do that to ya :)

During tonight's rehearsal, I heard some lovely words from one of the more experienced cast members during a ten minute break. A few of us were milling about the coffee station (as is customary) and there was some conversation taking place regarding family. The afore-mentioned cast member said something along the lines of: I, as a parent, want my children to grow up independent and able to fend for themselves, but I also want desperately for them to be taken care of in any way I can manage.

I was so happy to hear a mother talking about this because it's the subject of one of the songs on my upcoming album "Stadium Tide." It's from the point of view of a mother who essentially is of two minds regarding her child, as I believe most mothers are.

It's a concept I've explored though certainly never experienced first-hand, except to be on the receiving side. I got the idea from my own Mum who is always encouraging me, always generous, and always teaching me how to fend for myself. I can't wait to be a mother one day, and as I wrote this song I realized it's very personal. It's for my future child. It's for my Mum and all the mums that are fighting a daily inner struggle with their two greatest hopes regarding their children; that their child would be safe and that their child would know danger.

After the little gift of hearing the woman in rehearsal this evening, I decided to change the title of the song from its working title "Stay" to something more appropriate: "A Mother's Storm"

I can't wait to share the song with you, but it will have to wait until the entire album is complete...which will probably have to wait until this internship is done :P

Until midnight tomorrow,
Gin

No comments:

Post a Comment