Saturday, June 9, 2012

Soaring with the Bats

The Bats. The Flea. Cupcakes. Antigone. Nurses. Adele. Murder.

What do these things have in common? Well I experienced them all in the production "These Seven Sicknesses"

This show, at the Flea Theatre, is an amazing compilation of ancient greek plays which takes the audience on journey through time and basic human instincts. The Bats are the 34 actors in this play, also the resident actors AT the Flea...and I have to say, I'm a fan.

Cupcakes? That's what we got for dessert!! But only after the first intermission when the actors passed out  bowls of eggplant curry over jasmine rice :)

During both intermissions the actors mingled with us in the audience, talking freely, laughing, and serving food and drink. I got to chat with Alex, a Belhaven Alum, who invited me to see the play in the first place.

I'm still processing how much I loved this play. This event, rather! Alex explained to me that the director's vision for all his work has very much to do with this idea that the theatre is a collaborate bit of "play" between the performers and the spectators. The evening even began with a couple of actors informing the audience that they welcomed them us guests and wished to serve us during our stay.

That was awesome. Of course my mind is exploding with the satisfaction of seeing a piece of art that my own heart and mind connected with so immediately! I'll need a couple of days to process fully, but this has definitely inspired me!

-Ginny H.

No comments:

Post a Comment